Self-Explanatory

Self-Explanatory
just one of my hats.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cutting the fat out.

Got this term from my old partner in crime, Molly. Such an apropos statement to summarize the plot brewing in my head as of late.



I think (I hope, I desperately hope) that I'm on the verge of something super. I mean, really, really monumental. I'll explain:



Had a terribly gracious friend send her cleaning lady to my house the other day as a sort of combo birthday/anniversary gift. I use the term "house" loosely - I suppose if one refers to an apt. containing two small children, all of their worldly possessions including a multitude of plastic gadgets, clothes and furniture, one kitchen about the size and shape of a cucumber, and two not-too-terribly organized (read: incredibly disorganized) adults as a house, then yes, that would be what we are renting. Yes, my heart goes out to myself often these days. A little too often, it would seem, since at the present moment I am sitting here penning a missive to you about the piles lying about my house instead of getting off of my rear and getting rid of, say, just one.



So, in a very providential twist of loveliness, I had forgotten that aforementioned cleaning lady Genius On Kneepads was scheduled to be attending my house this past Monday afternoon. Monday was set to be a busy day for me, as all Mondays for the rest of the world are, and my main two objectives for the day were a dentist appt. for the toddler (infant in tow) and cleaning my entire townhouse top to bottom so as not to let New Babysitter in on our very messy, somewhat dirty little secret - that in my home, rarely are the dishes done, rarely is the table swiped clean, and never is the laundry complete, folded and put away. I mean never. Which sort of gives me a little segue into the main theme of this post, thus allowing me to avoid another digression. Yay!

So, as I haven't asked permission to use her name, I'll call my Fairy Cleanmother "N". "N" is amazing. I have to say I was a more than a little apprehensive about this experience, and did (insert sheepish grin) tear about my house in the hour before her arrival throwing clothes, shoes, Barbies and Play-Doh into baskets and behind closed doors. Even then I knew there was no hiding it. Oprah, here I come. I'm a hoarder. And I mean the worst kind. No, I don't have paths through my home (at least not yet) walled with clothes and trinkets, but I am that girl who, when offered something, says "yes" before the person has a chance to detail what exactly they're passing on. Bad news, people. And I mean it's embarrassing! I'd take a picture of my basement just to prove it to you - and if anyone needs a good laugh and you're, say, my best childhood friend or a member of my family, let me know and I'll take that picture. But otherwise - uh-uh. It's a scary sight. Games piled on wedding memorabilia alongside sporting equipment toppling over Christmas decorations and topped with say, an art project from the third grade. And it doesn't even have to be a particularly good one. All I have to do is see the date and I am loathe to part with it.

Well, "N" and I really got down to it on Monday, and man, I would have paid for the pep talk alone. And what I came away from our realization that we are both enslaved to this "keep it, might use it, don't touch it for five years....but NEVER throw away" mentality is this: it's time to pare down. Get back to the basics. Regroup. Clean up. Clean out. Throw out. (don't throw up).

The staccato statements make it sound so simple, no? I know it won't be. But I think I might be finally ready. What I seek most of all is the freedom that I hope will come from being rid of all of these belongings which I could argue even literally weigh me down. Hold me back. Keep me homebound. Cramp our style.

So while lamps and tables and old swimsuits and forgotten pictures lie in sweet repose down there....I muse. Little do they know, life's about to change for most of them. I've got a lofty goal - five boxes. That's all I want left. I'm not limiting myself on size, unless anyone suggests otherwise. I'm open for those, by the way - suggestions. This is not my forte - I mean the word organizing really gives me a cramp in the side. My own father has seen me in tears many times in the middle of a room with my belongings/homework/packing strewn about me, beyond frustrated because I don't know where to start and how it will ever end.

More importantly, a good friend of mine has of late been teaching me about how to do this on a more personal level. So introspection has ensued and it's been good. Cutting that fat out could do me a whole lot of good, and could only in turn be beneficial to those around me.

Gearin' up for a change....it's about time sister....

1 comment:

  1. Hey lady! How's that fat cuttin' out going? :) Hope you're all well--and, we must get together sometime this fall! Love your blog! ;)

    ReplyDelete